Saturday, October 17, 2015

Journey to Pulpit Rock, Norway by Guest Photographer Stephanie

Today's post comes from my daughter Stephanie - a twentysomething doing her PhD at the University of Waterloo in Public Health. While her research keeps her busy (see here), she always makes the most of our vacations by taking a ton of photos. Please give her a warm welcome!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone! My Mommy invited me to write about my experience to Preikestolen (a.k.a. Pulpit Rock) in Norway - a highlight of the trip for both David and I. As someone who isn't a fan of heights, the hike was pretty thrilling for me. In fact, the night before I had a little melt down because: a) we were told it was going to rain the next day (oh no, slippery rocks!), b) the excursion was a pricey one (is it really worth it?!), and c) we were told it would be strenuous (can I handle it?!). Thankfully, most of the rain came down on us during the return trip and I was indeed fit enough to do the climb. As for the price tag...yes, David and I concluded that it was worth it (especially since Daddy paid for it)! So, without further ado, let's go hiking!
Even though the hike to Pulpit rock is only 3.8 km, the steep elevation gain and tricky terrain kept us hopping. David was always a few paces ahead of me and I often had to tell him to slow down. C'mon bro, don't you know I have short legs?
It had rained the day before, so indeed some of the rocks were quite slippery. As an inexperienced hiker I had to be extra careful about where I placed my feet. Some of those rocks were unstable so I am quite surprised I didn't fall.
There were many markers along the way to show how high we had climbed. As you can see from the next few photos, the quick changes in view were spectacular!
David couldn't keep in his excitement. He kept saying over and over again "ooooohh this is so cool!"
At this point we still had a while to go, but we were already starting to see the fjord below. We quickened our pace to pass other tourists. "Go, go, go!"
Once we reached the top we had about an hour and a half left to explore. I got down to business. There were so many beautiful angles to capture with my camera and I had to make sure I took some time to just breathe and soak in the view for myself.
Can you see why they call it Pulpit Rock? I was amazed that there were absolutely no fences around the cliff. David and I watched a couple tourists sit on the edge and wave their arms for a picture. Crazy! I forbade David from doing the same. Just thinking about it made my head dizzy!
I may look calm in this photo, but my heart was beating fast at this point! I was more comfortable posing closer to the ground. "Hurry up, David! Take the photo!"
"I'm on top of the world!"
It was a great day for sibling bonding. We both had a fantastic time making the hike together.
With sore legs and tired feet we journeyed back to Stavanger by bus and ferry. Later that day I had to take a nap to recover (meanwhile, David had gone to the gym to work out!!!) only to have a nightmare about people falling off the edge of Pulpit Rock like dominoes. Yikes! Told you I was afraid of heights. Given the opportunity to do it again though, I would!

Hope you enjoyed my photos. If you want to see more of our trip from my perspective feel free to check out my flickr page (see here). Thanks for having me on the blog, Mommy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Virginia: I am so glad that Stephanie shares her amazing hiking journey with us. I live through her and David's experience because Dr. John and I took a different journey that day. Later Dr. John will share how we spent our day in Stavanger since we didn't climb the Pulpit Rock ( I'm too chicken!!).

New release from Simon Says Stamp (see here)
http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=1083364&b=199868&m=24698&afftrack=&urllink=www%2Esimonsaysstamp%2Ecom%2Fcategory%2FShop%2DSimon%2DReleases%2DShare%2DJoy
 If you enjoy reading Stephanie's post, please leave her a comment. I am sure she will love it!

23 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Thanks for sharing Stephanie! Looks like a great experience!

Bellule said...

Ce sont des magnifiques paysages !!

Julie C. said...

Wow! Those are some amazing photos Stephanie! Thanks for sharing!

donna mikasa said...

Amazing photos, Stephanie! Pulpit Rock is breathtaking! Thank you for sharing!

Anita in France said...

Well done on conquering your fears, Stephanie ... and thanks for sharing such awesome photo's ... the scenery is magnifique! Anita :)

aaga said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope to visit Norway some day.

Susi K said...

Norway is definitely on my radar for a future visit because of you sharing your vacation photos, Virginia - they're amazing! I have a fear of heights, so some of these made my heart stop! But breathtaking ...

Keren Baker said...

Love your post. The photographs are wonderful and the way you have written gave us a sense of your excitement and adventure! I'd love to go there now! x

CONNIE BROOKS said...

Wow Stephanie...beautiful journey and just breathtaking photos of majestic terrain and mountains. Thanks for sharing your holiday trek with us. I felt as though I was along with you.

Barb said...

Norway is a gorgeous country....what a wonderful trip to take with your family! Love your photos.

Kara Lynne said...

Stephanie, your photos are spectacular and that view magnificent! I'm so glad you gathered up your courage and took the hike! You will have that memory with your brother forever!

Harriet said...

Stephanie your photos are wonderful....best of all is the smile you and David have .... a smile is worth a thousand words the same goes for your photos. I, too, am afraid of heights so your photos took my eyes and not my feet on a wonderful adventure.

Susan F. said...

Stephanie, thank you so much for sharing photos and a trip to places that I am never going to go to. It is great to see such beauty that someone shares. It is obvious that you and David had a wonderful time. It shows in your smiling faces. You are a special set of siblings.

conil said...

Wow! Stephanie, your photos are excellent and the view of the fjord is breath-taking. So happy that you were able to make the climb to the Pulpit and that you stuck it out. Good for you. Often, facing your fear is the best feeling in the world. You got to do that and we got to see this extraordinary travelogue.

Susanne Vargas said...

Great pictures and fun story! I am sure you will always remember that hike with your brother!
Love how every family member writes a post!

Elainej said...

Stephanie, I consider you a very brave lady. You have done what I wouldn't because I, too, an afraid of heights and losing my balance. It's good that you have done this while you are still young and agile. My blessings to you. Thank you for sharing something I will never see in person.

Laura Norris said...

Beautiful photos, Stephanie! Thank you for sharing them with us! I'm glad you went on the hike and enjoyed it so much!

alexandra s.m. said...

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for taking the time to write and post such a beautiful and meaningful post.
You are so brave, I'm afraid of heights too and would NOT have picked that excursion for that reason.
It would have been a shame to have missed such incredible sceneries!
I hope you'll come back again on your Mom's blog.
WE love what she creates but I also LOVE your photography and voice ;)

Cheers~

Barb Ghig said...

Really gorgeous photos, Stephanie! You have amazing photography skills...WOW! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us!

LauraJane:) said...

I'm with you, getting dizzy just thinking about how high those cliffs are!

Loly Borda-Towery said...

I love your pics Stephanie! And your fun post! Please keep sharing!

Lin said...

What a beautiful hike, so glad you shared it with us, Stephanie!

Cindy C. said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos and your hiking experience Stephanie!!