Saturday, November 30, 2013

I {heart} Sweets!

I am sharing some yummy photos...I have been on a kick for making pies and cookies lately.
Martha Stewart's Double Chocolate Cookies
 Chocolate Pecan Pie 
Here is the recipe for the filling (for those who are interested): MELT the following in double boiler: 3 oz/squares unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup corn syrup, 3 tbsp. butter, 3/4 C. sugar, 3 eggs (lightly beaten), then add 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup pecan. bake in 350F for 40-45 min. You can use any store-bought pie crust (I always make my own).
How did I get started on making pies? After I got married, I noticed Dr. John has a thing for pies! It was rather easy for me to do. I get lots and lots of practice and get better as I go. Over the years, I had made and given pies to friends and neighbors. And now I have passed on my love of baking to my son David. Isn't his Lemon Meringue Pie whimsical? Also, he rocks at making Lemon Squares!
 I miss Peach Pie from this past summer.
I can't wait to try making Strawberry Rhubarb Pie again. It's going to be a long winter!
For now, I have the good old-fashioned Pecan Pie to be content with. Hope you get time to make something yummy this weekend!
Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

alexandra s.m. said...

What an incredible baker you are Virginia! and I love the fact that David has inherited that appreciation for home backed food from you! I wish I have the opportunity to try one of those pies one day because I am quite the pie fanatic!

great, it's bed time and I'm hungry now ;(
Thanks Virginia!!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

I am super-hungry now. You know it's rude to post pictures of yummy sweet things without sending some over to me don't you? ;-) lol

joy said...

What gorgeous and yummy-looking pies, Virginia! I know your dear hubby has been very spoiled over the years with these sweet treats. And, David will make a wonderful husband to some lucky gal one of these days!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Yum! These look great!

Sheila H said...

Your pie pictures make me want a big piece of each, Virginia! Your family is very blessed to have these delectable goodies made by you and David.

Linda R said...

I'll have a slice of that peach pie.. YUMMM.. Such a yummy post my friend. I think I just gained 5 pounds reading it.

Hope you have a happy weekend.

Hugs~

conil said...

The man in my life is crazy for cherry pie...fresh, of course. No holidays or birthdays are allowed to pass without a cherry pie. I do make others too, but not with as many accolades.

Lin said...

Baking pies was a specialty in Denny's family, but I'm afraid I never have enjoyed making them.....eating them, though, is a different story! We grow our own rhubarb and freeze it for making pies in the winter. Wish I could send you some!

pcm said...

yes please!

Bellule said...

I love to cook and yours bakeries looks so good, especially the lemon meringue pie (i do some meringues this afternoon with strawberry )

Bises.

Barbara said...

We had pumpkin pie made by my daughter and apple pie made by me for Thanksgiving and since those were gone by yesterday, I had to make an egg custard pie! I do believe our favorite desserts are pies, and I'll need to try that chocolate pecan pie!

Barb Ghig said...

Oh my...this is a baking bonanza! Everything looks gorgeous AND delicious! Sure wish I lived closer so I could taste them all :-)

How wonderful that David has picked up a love for baking, too! His Lemon Meringue Pie and Lemon Squares look fabulous!

Thanks for sharing all of these great photos with us!

Rose said...

i would love to be your taster :) they all look yummy!!

racmozz said...

Wow they all look lovely! Im going to have to try making lemon squares sometime.

I made white chocolate muffins today :-)

Laura B. said...

Does your family know how lucky they ate? Holy yumminess!

Annette Allen said...

ok now i am for sure coming to your house... these look oh so yummy

Jennifer said...

Oh...looks so yummy! I always have room for dessert!

Alice Wertz said...

i am seriously thinking about moving in next door!! =) i need to get the peach pie recipe, ours always comes out too running and that frustrates Eric. Yours looks perfect and so yummy! love it when you post your (and David's) cooking and baking!