Friday, April 19, 2013

Feature A Friend Guest Design--A TUTORIAL!

Hello friends, today I am sharing a guest design project with you. I am very honored to have
Elizabeth (Broken Treasures) asking me to be her Feature A Friend in her blog.
broken treasures 
I am sharing two cards using a mask that I create with Haxagon diecut. Recently I am quite intrigued with stencils ( costs around $4 each) that are making presences in all the on-line stores and LSS! That gave me the idea of creating my own. Basically we can make good use of our own existing diecut and create a customized stencil! This is a great way to stretch your creativity and maximize the use of your diecuts!
 
 Here is the step-by-step tutorial
Card #1—
After the masking, I added a few tiny droplets of pink splatter (mixture of Worn Lipstick and water). A sentiment and some stitching (the black straight line on top) and faux stitching ( top and bottom corner, SRM Stitching sticker) were added. With the flower embellishment and sequins, this card is complete!
Thinking of you
Card #2
With a colorful background, I kept the design simple. I added the pop-up owl, stamped text and sentiment and jute This card was very easy and fun to create.
owl my  love
I hope this tutorial inspires you! You can use the mask for card-making and scrapbooking or any craft projects! Circles, ovals, scalloped squares, hexagons, fancy floral /tree images...any diecut that you that you already have will do! The sky is the limit! Thank you, Elizabeth, for inviting me to share my love of card-making.

I would really appreciate if you can stop by Elizabeth's blog (she made a gorgeous card inspired by this tutorial)!! 
Thanks so much for stopping by! 

32 comments:

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Great tutorial Virginia, and some really fresh and funky results! Congrats on your guest spot!!

Lynn said...

Fabulous tutorial Virginia! I love the combo of colors!

richardbreaks said...

Way to use that creativity! Fantastic Hexagons!!

Sheila H said...

You are so creative, Virginia! This mask technique produced some really unique cards. Great tutorial!

joy said...

LOVE this unique idea, Virginia! Your cards are fabulous!

Barb said...

So artsy, inky and fun! I love both cards, V! Thanks for reminding us to use our negative die-cuts in a different way! Who needs stencils? Beautiful work, my friend!

Karen B. said...

What a really cool idea, and your cards turned out fantastic. Great tutorial too, easy to follow and understand.

Angi Barrs said...

Love how you made this Virginia. The colors are gorgeous! Must try this soon.

Miriam Prantner said...

Love how you created the mask and showed it to us in multiple ways! I especially love the inking/owl card!

Loly Borda-Towery said...

Fabulous tutorial, I love your colorful cards. TFS

Laura B. said...

Awesome tutorial!! Love seeing how you created your hexagon masterpieces. That one with the owl is so beautiful!

JJ Bolton said...

Love your tutorial Virginia! And your cards are wonderful (I'm partial to that owl one though:)

Can I ask what material you used for your mask? Just cardstock?

Have a great weekend!

Virginia L. said...

Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone!
To JJ: I had lots of paper folders (our accountant use them to keep our tax files). I cut it up to use as the mask. The material is heavier than average card stock and it’s glossy. It can be reused after several sprays (after drying it with the heat gun). Hope this answers your question.

Rachel W K said...

great idea! i love those little masks but always wish i had more... ill have to try to make my own! thanks!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

Linda said...

great idea! I love masking. It's such a fun technique! Love all the colors you used and the owl is adorable!

BabyBokChoy said...

terrific techniques and what fun cards!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love how you made your mask and the cards!

Barb Ghig said...

I really love the results you achieved by creating your own masks...beautiful colors and designs! Love your cards, Virginia...the branches you created for the owl is so charming!

Barb Ghig said...

Oh, and thank you so much for the tutorial :-)

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Beautiful projects Virginia! Love the beautiful backgrounds that you created! Thanks for the inspiration!

Annette said...

great tutorial.. i am so loving how you did this.. both cards are awesome and i love that owl.. very creative and so inspiring..

lenny said...

Wow, Virginia! This is really FAB!!
Love the tutorial and looooove both your cards!! Great design and color combo...as always!!
Enjoy your weekend! ;)

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Thanks for the step-by-step, Virginia! What fun cards you created with this technique! Especially love the little owl one!

Melissa Shea said...

oh my oh my! love this technique! so pretty!

Greta said...

Now why didn't I think of that! Great tutorial & I love your cards, Virginia! Yes, I am inspired--gotta try it.

Dawn Turley said...

Great idea Virginia. Your mask made a couple of fabulous backgrounds.

~amy~ said...

This is wonderful...excellent tut and great projects!

Kathy (krolski) said...

Both are great cards! I especially love the owl card! Wonderful tutorial Virginia!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOOOOOOOOOVE that owl card! FUN colors and design! What a great tutorial:)

donna mikasa said...

LOOOVE all the hexagon goodness! Thanks for sharing your creativity with your awesome tutorial!

Alice Wertz said...

what a clever idea to make your own mask!!! love love love your cards, girl! i may have to borrow this idea!! =)

Kelly Griglione said...

You are on such a roll lately, Virginia! Great idea, and impeccable execution. I loved the first one, and then saw the second one which blew me away!