Sunday, June 24, 2012

How I Stretch My Stamps ( Series 1)

The new on line class "Stretch Your Stamps" has me all intrigued! For me, one of the MANY fun things about stamping is seeing the possibilities of the stamps. In the past, I mentioned the following  in my blog:  "Ask not what your stamps can do for you - ask what you can do for your stamps". I think it works both ways, don't ya think? When you look at buying a stamp, do you love it at first sight? Or you take the versatility of the stamps into the consideration more? I think I do both. First, I have to like the stamps (obviously) and if it intrigues me, then why!? YES! But to stretch your stamping dollar, we all have to choose the stamps wisely. Some stamps offer few images and it's hard to make various use out of it. Some can look unappealing, but if you look at the potential use, it is full of possibilities!
In the next few weeks, I am going to look through my cards and highlight a few ideas. You may have seen some of the cards. So this is a review if you are new to stamping or new followers to my blog. The best thing is, my posts and my ideas shared here are FREE! Yippee!

Tip #1: Use partial images--in other words, do not always use the image as it IS.
you brighten my day
I used the partial leaf images to create banners. And you can also use only part of the background stamp to make it work for your projects.
Graduation
 You do not need to flaunt it all.
 Smile!
Using part of the stamp is pretty effective, don't you think?
 Ellen Hutson LLC Hero Arts Wood Take 'n Make
In this case, you get more mileage with your stamps. You can use part of a background stamp as a focus also.
 HUGS to you
So what do you think? If this inspire you, I love to see your take! Inlinkz is provided below, please link up your work and share with the fellow bloggers/stampers. It does not have to be a new creation, as long as you show how YOU stretch your stamps, you are more than welcome to link it up. There will be a prize to a randomly selected winner
 Want 2 Scrap ($25 US gift certificate)
 AND fun and inspiration! This challenge will run for a month, so it will allow us to have plenty of time to join the fun. I will be posting more ideas every Sunday (till 22nd) and keep the theme going.
Are you ready? Set? Stamp!
Edited: Please mention in your post that you are linking it to "How I Stretch My Stamps" and feel free to use the text bird logo.






34 comments:

Katie said...

LOVE the Smile card flower. What colors did you use and what technique. It is GORGEOUS! Liking the others, too, but that one is amazing!
Thanks.

Jocelyn said...

Great Ideas!

sandie said...

this was a real inspiration and thank you for that. I realise I have done this before but your post has inspired me to try this some more-I will try and link up a card by the end of the month!

shirley-bee said...

See, that's what I like about you, Virginia. You're so pro-active in the blogging world, this is why we follow you! Shall be joining in with this, definitely.

Barb King said...

Oh, these are wonderful! Is there any way you could link back to the original post so that we could read the description of how you made the card. I especially love the first one, wondered if you masked it and what the leaf stamp was. You have such great ideas, I am so glad I found your blog. Barb

~amy~ said...

Love the inspiration!!!! Picking stamps wisely...I need to do that more often as I have a ton that haven't been inked:(

Susie said...

I love your inspiration and ideas. And...I love that its' FREE! Thanks so much for sharing. By the way, I love your cards :)

CinnamonSally said...

Wow great ideas Virginia, Thanks so much for sharing!!

Pam Sparks said...

Just goes to show why stamps are so creative and you are too! Thanks for sharing Virginia!

Laura B. said...

Fabulous cards and inspiration!

Barb said...

You are so awesome - have I told you that lately? You've always been able to stretch your stamps, and what a fun idea - to show us all how you do it, and let us join in! Love all the cards you shared, V! Hugs! :)

Bethany said...

I love this idea Virginia...I try to buy stamps for how I could use them more too. I might LOVE a stamp set, but I ask myself how much could I actually get out of it. If I can use it a lot, then I might buy it, but if not...
I love the first card...so pretty!

Have a wonderful day!

Lynn said...

Oh...I need to have a go at this challenge...love your inspiration Virginia!

Lin said...

You have taught your big sis a good lesson this morning! I had to search a long time to find some examples of this wonderful way of looking at stamps......I'll now try to use this idea more often - it's VERY effective.

LOVE that first card!!

Linda R said...

I love this post.. It gave me some food for thought. Great tips my friend..

Hugs~

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

It is definitely fun to re-purpose a stamp image. I linked a post from last week that shows different ways I used a turtle shell to make different patterns on my cards! Thanks again for another fun post and challenge, Virginia! :)

Cathy A said...

Great advice Virginia, I love to get the most from my stamps too!

donna mikasa said...

You've always been an inspiration, V! I remember the wonders you did with the scallop circle stamp years ago when it was one of your "only" stamp! Remember? I'm guilty of buying a stamp because I liked how someone used it and wonder why I got it after it arrived....Kick me! I'll be looking forward to Sunday inspiration here!

Vic Lau said...

What a great idea for a series. I've been trying not to buy anymore crafty things for awhile so this is wonderful inspiration :)

Romaine said...

Super tips! Looking forward to the series! I am just beginning to do some background stuff....I will have to look and see what I have! :0)

Kara Lynne said...

What a wonderful idea! Thank you for the inspiration. You always have a way of getting me thinking...

Karen said...

What a great posting Virginia...I am looking forward to seeing all the inspiring and creative cards.
thanks

Lindsey said...

Great review of how to make your stamps work in many ways!

alexandra s.m. said...

Very inspiring Dear Virginia!
Thank YOu~

Brenda said...

Virginia, this is just what I need! Your tips are very helpful because I have a limited number of stamps. With tips like this, I might use them more frequently and in a variety of ways. Thanks so much!

BabyBokChoy said...

You have so many wonderful ideas!!! totally inspirational!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

yay! I am so happy you are doing this! Thanks for the great ideas and love all of the projects! Especially that LO!
Lisa

Maureen Morton said...

Great ideas! Guess you've given me an excuse to stop buying......well, maybe not. Thanks for keeping us thinking AND crafting!

Melissa Shea said...

I love your examples! Really gets the mind kicking in a new direction. Fun linky/challenge/giveaway too!

Laurie said...

Virginia this is so amazing! I love those masked stripes! WOW!

Sheila H said...

This is fun and informative, Virginia. I can't wait for the next lesson! Thanks much :)

MarcyK924 said...

This is fabulous, V! I did a series on my blog using my stamp in different ways and it just dawned on me that this is what you are doing here! LOVE how you made this fun and inspirational! Hugs!!

Alice Wertz said...

you are amazing, girl! thanks for starting a new challenge and tip series!! really looking forward to reading more! =)

Darnell J Knauss said...

Thank you so much!